The Red Suitcase Challenge

Around this time last year I’ve signed a contract with the landlord obligating me to spend that amount of time in one place. To go steady. To get used to the comfort of having a place one could call home. A signature got me caged.

I think it was one of the factors of my dark days this winter. (Yes don’t want to give my ex all the credit for those.)

The most important book of my teens was “On the road” by Jack Kerouac. I loved how they experienced life to the fullest, distilled ideas from thick night air, squeezed art and emotion out of every legal and illegal substance they could get hold on.

My final oral literature exam was a presentation on the character of Carlo Marx – based on Allen Ginsberg – and his representation in the book and in film. (Produced by Francis Ford Coppola and directed by Walter Salles – not that bad considering how most adaptations turn out to be.)

I remember that angry girl speaking about ideas and virtues of Beat Generation in front of the conformist headmaster and Polish teachers. Oh, such a great day.

My I gave my copy of the book to a friend and made her promise to pass it on as soon as she’s done reading. I wanted it to do, what Kerouac and Neil Cassidy did – keep on moving.

In 3 weeks the contract expires and instead of looking for a new flat I look for cheapest tickets to places I’ve always wanted to see.

I can’t let go of everything I have planned for myself – finishing my degree for example. What I can and will do is try on this way of life through the summer. And that’s my red suitcase challenge.

I won’t have an address until September.

I won’t stay in one place for more than 2 weeks.

All my items that I own must fit into two suitcases – big one with books and winter clothing will stay in London.

The red, hand luggage sized one will be traveling with me and contain all the items I actually need during those months.

That’s why I’m getting rid of most of my stuff and the clothes sale can be found here.
There’s no Buddhist philosophy in there – I love pretty items and sentimental possessions, but keeping them would make moving from place to place more difficult. Could slow me down.

I promise to keep my blog as a record of where I’m staying and what I’m experiencing – like Kerouac’s little notebook he carried around on the road. I just not a physical one.  




Comments

Popular Posts