BFI, Beat Generation and Bugs in my room.

When your life goes refuses to be put back on the track and you are forced to accept indestructible black bugs as pets in a place that you live in it’s hard to actually come up with anything worth writing about.
Especially when you try to escape into reading (for me it was Naked Lunch) and you find this quote:
“There is only one thing a writer can write about: what is in front of his senses at the moment of writing…”
Yeah, I guess that beating people down was one of many Burroughs’ bad habits.
Me as a ‘recording instrument’ could produce thousands of pages on: how it is to be broke, to waste time and party too hard.
On the one hand there are a couple of examples of rags to riches. Take Bukowski, but it’s more like a rags to enough money for booze story. But writing about drinking and struggle to pay the rent and shitty jobs brought him decent financial status and fame.
There is also J.K. Rowling. I can bet that the idea of living in a cupboard under the stairs was inspired by one of those single rooms never worth the rent.
But who would like to read seven volumes of Harry Potter’s story if he kept living there?
***
Walls in my cupboard on the first floor were screaming to be painted, but it wouldn’t happen anytime soon. I’ve covered the stains with pictures from fashion magazines and quotes. It’s like having Soup.io on the wall. I’ve posted my big dreams list there and I bet keeping the Internet updated on my journey to making them true would make a great metaphoric version of Kerouac “On the Road”. With far more hygiene and without gay sex.

***
Today visit in BFI made me far more optimistic than I could suspect. I’ve been to “The Amazing Spider-Man 2” preview and a talk with creators. It was great, both the scenes that were shown and the people who’ve made them.
But the best thing of all was this amazing feeling that one day I’m gonna meet those people again. One day in 5 years from now.
I’ve just noticed that every section has some beat generation reference, so I need to mention here that at with the producers and director there was also Dane Dehaan, who played in “Kill your darlings”  about Ginsberg and Kerouac Columbia years.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts